Job posting- #12-029. The Oklahoma Insurance Department has an opening in the Legal division for a Legal Secretary III. Salary: $35,000 to $42,000. This position closes on 11/30/12.
Please send resumes to:
Oklahoma Insurance Department
Attn: Human Resources
Under supervision of the Legal IV secretary, provide secretarial and administrative support to the attorneys.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Compose and prepare various legal documents and forms; record and transcribe proceedings of meetings, hearings and conferences
• Independently research, locate and assemble legal materials for working files used in docketing cases or information and data for administrative board or commission consideration and action; gather agency data and documents to support various pleadings filed in different courts; develop and maintain files on research sources
• Review routine petitions regarding administrative appeals and prepare appropriate draft pleadings
• Arrange for special conferences and meetings; maintain assigned attorneys’ calendars, advising of commitments; make travel arrangements; prepare and submit travel claims
• Schedule depositions, prepare exhibits for court cases; compile reports or other materials for use by an attorney or other member of legal staff
• Maintain or supervise the maintenance of confidential legal files and hard copy or electronic records
• Assist attorneys in ensuring that deadlines are met for filing various court actions; file orders, judgments, pleadings, briefs and other documents on behalf of an attorney.
• Operate a variety of modern office equipment; screen phone calls and receive visitors; provide information or refer to appropriate official; open, review and distribute mail; dispose of routine matters; prepare correspondence for supervisor’s signature.
• Assist as back up receptionist for reception.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of guidelines for the preparation and filing of legal documents, business communications, trial and court procedures, references used in legal research and writing, legal terms and definitions, and modern office procedures
• Ability to type accurately from plain copy at a rate of fifty words per minute; to prepare complex legal documents and forms; to deal with the public; to exercise judgment in interpreting and applying rules, laws and policies concerning the preparation and filing of legal documents; and to handle confidential work with tact and discretion
• Effective communication skills
• Ability to establish effective working relationships with others
• Advanced computer skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Legal Secretary III: Five years of experience performing a variety of complex clerical and typing work plus one additional year of experience as a legal secretary or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Employees of the Oklahoma Insurance Department may not have an immediate relative who is financially interested, directly or indirectly, in any insurer, agency or insurance transaction (except as a policyholder or claimant). The selected applicant must not have a felony conviction and must pass a background check. Applicants must have a valid driver's license.
Employees of the Oklahoma Insurance Department are unclassified employees of the state. For benefits offered by the State of Oklahoma to employees of the state, please use this link to access the Oklahoma Office of Personnel Management benefits page at http://www.ok.gov/opm/HR_and_Employee_Services/index.html.