Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities for performing or supervising a variety of unskilled to semi-skilled manual labor and general repair duties or assisting craft personnel in any one of the several mechanics, grounds maintenance or building trades. This primarily involves performing routine tasks which consist of manual labor or providing assistance to skilled trades and crafts workers in completing skilled tasks or projects.
• Cuts grass, weeds, trees and brush; cleans culverts, drains and ditches;
• Loads and unloads materials, supplies and equipment; hauls or carries sand, lumber, asphalt and cement or other materials; occasionally operates forklift or tractor.
• Assists skilled craft workers, including machinists, carpenters, plumbers, masons, electricians or welders by carrying materials and tools. Picking up materials from suppliers or performing unskilled tasks, such as mixing concrete or mortar, digging holes and tearing out walls; moves furniture, oxygen tanks and other heavy equipment at an institution, building or site.
• Digs post holes and ditches; mows lawns, trims shrubs, rakes grass and trash, sweeps walks and cleans rest rooms; chips, scales, cleans and scrapes ironwork.
• Assists in setting up or moving scaffolds; sweeps, mops and buffers floors; picks up trash and performs general clean-up and custodial duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of the tools, equipment, methods and practices of the general building and mechanical trades. Ability to follow simple oral instructions; skill to use hand tools and high speed power tools; to perform the less skilled aspects of the mechanical and building trades; and to physically perform heavy manual labor.
Education and Experience:
Requirements at this level are none
Licenses/Certificates required: none
Benefits: This is a full-time unclassified state position with full state retirement and insurance benefits, including paid health, dental, life, and disability insurance for the employee and 75% paid health insurance for dependents. Annual leave of 10 hours per month and sick leave of 10 hours per month begin accruing immediately.
• Applicant must be able to lift/carry a minimum of 40 pounds
• Applicant must be able to work in extreme environmental conditions (Over 95 Degrees F and below 20 Degrees F)
• Applicant must be able to work from various building heights
Conditions of Employment:
• Unclassified service as an employee at will
• Contingent on a favorable background check
• Contingent on passing a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening
• Must maintain a valid driver’s license
Notes: This position is located at the Thunderbird Youth Academy in Pryor, OK
Employment eligibility verified through e-Verify (Homeland Security), and a National Agency Check for positions that require computer access.
Travel may be required at the expense of the employee to be reimbursed within 45 days of travel.