STATIONARY ENGINEER, STATE OFFICE COMPLEX
|Department||DGS Facilities Operation and Maintenance|
|Date Opened||4/12/2017 11:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/10/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Kym Hilton-Washington|
LOCATION OF POSITION
The positions are available in the Facilities Operations & Maintenance Division of the Department of General Services located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose is to provide Heating and Air Conditioning for the State Office Complex. Must be available for any State emergency, such as snow removal, hurricanes, floods, etc.
Stationary Engineer, State Office Complex is the full performance level of technical and supervisory maintenance work in the Department of General Services as a chief operating engineer on a shift in a power plant with central station refrigeration or air conditioning equipment totaling 2500 tons or more and heating or process boilers totaling 500 HP and above. Employees in this classification supervise Maintenance Mechanics and other staff. Employees in this classification receive general supervision from a Maintenance Supervisor or other designated higher-level official. Employees are assigned to day, evening, night or rotating shifts to include holidays and weekends and are subject to call in and overtime based on staffing needs. Work involves the lifting of heavy mechanical equipment and apparatus and may be performed in areas of extreme heat and cold.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
· Operate 5-250HP Gas Fired Hot Water Heating Boilers, 1-125HP and 1-50HP Gas Fired Steam Boilers, 3-850 ton Variable Speed Centrifugal Chillers, 3-550 ton Screw Ice Builder Chillers, 14,000 ton per hour Ice Vault Storage Tank System, 6 Induced Draft Cooling Towers, Refrigerant monitoring system, 2 Frame and Plate Heat Exchangers, and 3-1200kw Natural Gas-Fired continuous duty rated Engine Generators. The employee makes hourly safety inspections on the chillers and/or boilers. Employee also inspects and tests three emergency generators.
· Operate the Energy Management System (computer) for all equipment pertaining to heating and air conditioning.
· Preventive Maintenance on chilled water pumps and circulating pumps as well as clean filters and grease fans on all air handling units.
· Trouble shoot problems with window units that provide heating and air conditioning throughout the complex, which may have asbestos in the area.
Education: Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a State high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: Three years of experience as a 1st Grade Stationary Engineer.
1. Applicants may substitute additional experience up to four years as licensed first-grade engineer on a year-for-year basis for the required high school education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Utilitiesman classifications or Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Mechanic, or Utilities Chief specialty codes in the Equipment Maintenance field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification must possess and maintain a current license as a Stationary Engineer, 1st Grade from the State Board of Stationary Engineers.
1. Some positions in this classification are assigned duties which will require the individual to be examined by a physician. After an offer of employment, applicants for such positions will be given a medical examination to certify the ability to perform the essential job functions.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to random substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Eligible list may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
To submit additional information, please upload an attachment to your application. Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-1386 for questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1207, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|