***REPOSTED***CORRECTIONAL DIETARY OFFICER TRAINEE Cooking
|Department||Department of Public Safety and Correctional Svcs|
|Date Opened||8/25/2016 11:45:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/30/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$34,390.00 - $54,186.00/year|
This is a Position Specific recruitment for the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services (DPSCS).
PLEASE INDICATE EACH MARYLAND COUNTY THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT EMPLOYMENT ON YOUR APPLICATION.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Several positions are located throughout the State of Maryland. Therefore, the resulting eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies.
When completing the application, please select all locations in which you are willing to work.
Main Purpose of Job
To supervise inmate work crews in the preparation and serving of meals in a Correctional facility.
Learns how to maintain control and discipline of inmates working in kitchen and dining room areas;
Learns how to keep continual count of assigned inmates;
Learns how to search inmates in order to prevent concealment of equipment, cutlery, food and other unauthorized items; Learns how to enforce rules of conduct among inmates and when to prepare reports of infractions;
Learns how to subdue and restrain inmates during fights, riots and escape attempts;
Maintains sanitary kitchen conditions including supervision of the washing of pots, pans, dishes, counters and the cleaning of meat grinders and slicers and dining and kitchen areas;
Learns Division of Correction regulations, institutional directives and post orders;
Learns to ensure that inmate workers adhere to Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Regulations in food sanitation and food safety in an institutional setting;
Learns to train and supervise assigned inmates preparing vegetables, meats, salads, beverages and other foods;
Learns to operate kitchen equipment and appliances such as mixers, cookers, ovens, stoves, toasters and coffee urns;
Learns to measure and mix ingredients according to recipes;
May perform work in any one of the specialized options during staffing shortages and emergencies;
Performs other related duties.
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Note: The above educational requirement is set by the Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The following qualification is preferred, not required:
Training in a culinary program (this could be culinary training through a high school program or culinary school)
1 year of experience in food preparation in a large scale food operation of a commercial, institutional or other establishment
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Some positions in this classification may require the operation of a motor vehicle for the transportation of inmates or supplies. Employees assigned such duties will be required to acquire the appropriate Maryland driver's license.
3. Employees who have not already done so must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
1. Selection standards for correctional officer certification are established by the Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations, Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A completed background investigation
2. Employees are subject to call 24 hours a day and, therefore, will be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
The examination process will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Please make sure that you provide complete and accurate information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
To submit your qualifying documents; the preferred method is to upload them using the "other" tab on the online application. However, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information, recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Online applications are STRONGLY recommended; if you do not have internet access, please mail your application by the closing date to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination
ATTN: Thomasine Johnson
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309
Baltimore, MD 21215
For more information, please call 410-585- 3117
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|