Full-Time Benefits: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
Nature Of Work
An employee in this class is responsible for the work of technicians involved in portrayal of engineering ideas and information through drawings. Employees perform engineering design tasks of considerable difficulty and supervise provision of drafting support and maintenance of project drawings and related documents. Using drafting skills, knowledge gained through experience and training, technical reference books, precedent designs, standards, and regulations, employees make design determinations for the preparation of drawings by subordinates. Under general direction, employees determine priorities, establish and adjust standards, develop schedules, and coordinate activities performed by unit members. Considerable initiative and independent judgment are required in maintaining continuous awareness of assigned projects’ status and reviewing work products to ensure that proper graphic portrayal techniques, methods, and procedures are used. Employees are also expected to perform requisite personnel management functions. Work is reviewed through conferences, oral and written reports, observation, and results obtained.
Examples of Duties
- Plans, assigns, schedules, supervises, and reviews the work of technical subordinates involved in preparation of engineering drawings, computer aided design, and maintenance of drawings and related documents; checks drawings to ensure that proper graphic portrayal techniques, methods, and procedures are being used; provides guidance and assistance in developing unusual design details and interpreting survey notes and written instructions; prepares preliminary sketches for the guidance of subordinates; evaluates work requests from engineers and determines if sufficient data is being provided; estimates time required to complete projects; provides project status information to requesting parties; initiates survey requests for additional information; supervises the preparation of permit applications for right-of-way construction by private contractors and city agencies for submission to Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP), Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), county, and city; participates in pre-design and pre-construction meetings; instructs subordinates in proper drafting techniques and filing procedures; coordinates efforts on easement acquisitions with land and right-of-way offices.
- Develop, maintain, and update Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and Geographic Information System (GIS) drawings, databases, and records.
- Review and develop departmental GIS and CAD standards to ensure high quality and consistent work product
- Assist with the acquisition or transfer of land and easements to accommodate existing or future infrastructure-
- Maintain and update easement record documentation
- Supervise preparation of high quality special maps, database queries and analysis, and digitizing data for conversion to GIS usable formats
- Operate a workstation using AutoCAD and ArcGIS
- Ensure that service requests for as-built facility plans, archived info such as drawings, photos, maps, and other records are met and provided on schedule
- Automate the data update process to support the Engineering Departments hydraulic modeling and Master Planning efforts
- Coordinate and conduct CAD and GIS training sessions for Division staff and end users with application needs
- Implement quality control/quality assurance programs for the Division- Coordinate and prepare budget estimates for purchase of Division software, hardware, and other related equipment by researching item specifications, cost and delivery requirements
- Administer and/or supervise the customization and programming of all CAD/GIS related software applications
- Develop, oversee, and maintain contracts for Departmental Surveying including scope development and invoice tracking
- Makes on-site investigations when drawings require major alterations or as-built conditions require verification; researches records and retrieves and assembles data.
- Implements policy and oversees operations of a central filing and retrieval system for drawings; establishes and maintains records maintenance and microfilming system; provides training and develops work methods/procedures modifications to improve work output and/or quality of final product; evaluates service levels and work priorities and makes changes to meet departmental needs.
- Provides general supervision of temporary employees/consulting engineers, etc. to ensure their conformance to work standards; programs personal computer for technical or engineering applications; coordinates project work with engineering, inspectors, utilities, and contractors to keep project on schedule; acts as liaison between department(s) and/or other agencies to give information and answer questions; reviews plans/specifications and reports prepared by DOT consultants.
- Initiates purchase request for section supplies and equipment; provides input into section budget; recommends such personnel actions as employment, promotions, transfers, demotions, suspensions, and dismissals; administers required discipline and responds to employee grievances; completes subordinate employees’ performance evaluations.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Extensive knowledge of: symbols, terminology, and accepted standards used in preparing engineering drawings; equipment, facilities, and systems of the particular field of engineering assigned; basic drafting techniques including standardized drawing techniques.
Considerable knowledge of: charting and graphing procedures and practices; legal terminology used in property descriptions; computer aided drafting systems and procedures; records keeping, filing systems, and data storage and retrieval.
Working knowledge of: basic training and supervisory techniques; planning and scheduling techniques; the purpose and objectives of employee performance evaluation; the disciplinary and grievance process.
Some knowledge of: right-of-way construction permit application process; construction and design methods and procedures.
Ability to: prepare unusual/nonstandard drawings; communicate moderately complex information both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; schedule, assign, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate the work of others; analyze employee/applicant information; originate project design; evaluate the adequacy of data and prepare project and time estimates; develop and implement policies; analyze change effects in design; identify training/development needs of subordinates and deliver training programs; prepare employee performance evaluations; read and interpret surveying and engineering data; perform mathematical calculations.
Skill in: the use and care of drafting tools, material, and equipment.
Graduation from an accredited high school and completion of two (2) years of college in engineering drafting or related subjects with five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in drafting and computer-aided design, and six (6) months supervisory or lead worker experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in Engineering Technology or related field; three (3) years of supervisory experience; five (5) years progressive experience with AutoCAD; five (5) years progressive experience with ArcGIS and demonstrated experience with administration of record management software.
Licenses or Certifications
Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license might be required.
Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application.